Waffles, a weekend breakfast treat! I like to do things with waffles–things like turn them into a sandwich. You know, slather them with peanut butter, or almond butter, sliced bananas, and honey. Add chocolate chips and they get even better. Whoa!
If you think I’m going a little waffle crazy, you’ve come to the right place. Check out these former posts for waffles: Banana Bread Waffles, Sweet Potato Pecan Waffles, Citrus Waffles with Orange Compote. I am so not done with waffles yet.
Waffles are supper easy to make. A good waffle iron does most of the work for you. Just mix up dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and mix together. A few lumps are an added bonus, they build character.
Here’s a question for you….. What’s a waffle without chocolate chips? Still a waffle. HA HA!
Prepare the waffles and lay out the prepared toppings. The waffles are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside with melted chocolate. Add a sweep of almond butter, sliced bananas, and drizzle with honey….perfect toppings.
Take any that are left over and freeze for the week ahead. Pop in the toaster to rewarm. That’s real meal planning in my book. Indulgent breakfasts on demand!
BUTTERMILK WAFFLES WITH CHOCOLATE CHIPS
Yield: Makes 6 generous waffles
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips, or chopped dark chocolate
- toppings: almond butter, sliced bananas, honey
1. Set waffle iron on a level surface and turn on to preheat.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together melted buter, eggs, vanilla extract, and buttermilk. Add wet ingredients, all at once to dry ingredients. Stir until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips. Do not over mix the batter. If a few lumps remain in the batter that’s ok.
4. Cook each waffle according to your waffle iron instructions.
5. Serve waffles warm topped with almond butter, bananas, and a good drizzle of honey.
Note: For leftover waffles, allow to cool completely. Place them in pairs in ziplock bags and store in the freezer. In the morning, gently reheat waffles in the toaster or toaster oven. Best breakfast ever!!