Hi folks, welcome to a new week. It’s Monday Funday, meatless Monday. Are you getting tired of trying to come up with something new and delicious, but meatless? Is your family groaning over the same old same old? How many of you would be satisfied with a loaded baked potato? You know, with sour cream, bacon bits, grated cheddar cheese, chives, etc, etc. Oh, yeah, and all those calories……?
Suppose I told you you can have all that without the extra calories and carbohydrate you get with a potato. Just put all that good stuff on …..wait now…..cauliflower! Cauliflower is the new potato, thus we have loaded cauliflower. What’s not to love about that!!
This recipe is rather unique, and a little off-beat, but when it comes to reducing our carbohydrate intake and calories, off-beat is good. And it’s a great way to add some zip to cauliflower.
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. dry Ranch Salad dressing mix
- 1 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp. chopped green onion, green part only
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Lightly spray a 9-inch baking dish.
2. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower, and steam until very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl, break up into florets and drain any excess water.
3. Mix cauliflower with sour cream, cheese, ranch dressing mix, onion and garlic powders. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Top with pieces of butter.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling, about 30 minutes.
Before serving, sprinkle with chopped green onions. I added some fine unseasoned bread crumbs.
This is so good. Just like eating a baked potato with all your favorite toppings.