There are members of my family who are not particularly fond of vegetables, and they were going to be present at a family end-of-summer cookout. I was asked to bring a salad. Whenever this happens I try to bring one that includes vegetables in an appetizing, attractive form, hoping to entice them to eat their veggies. This salad was a winner with everyone. Once I placed it on the serving table it began to disappear very quickly so I didn’t get a good picture of the whole salad. What you see here is the small amount that was left. This is one salad I know I will be making again and again.
Most people seem to like raw vegetables with a dip and my salad is a riff on that idea. All the vegetables are raw plus there are cranberries for a little sweetness, peanuts for some extra crunch, and bacon for that smoky, salty taste. For a vegetarian version, just omit the bacon. The slightly sweet dressing pulls everything together and enhances it beautifully.
RAW VEGETABLE SALAD WITH CREAMY DRESSING
SERVES 10 – 12
- 3 cups chopped raw broccoli
- 3 cups chopped raw cauliflower
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 10 ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup dried cranberries, such as Craisins
- 1 cup dry-roasted peanuts, or raw peanuts
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons grated onion
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 & 1/2 cup mayonnaise
1. Combine all the vegetables and cranberries in a large salad bowl.
2. Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad. Add the bacon and peanuts. Toss to coat with dressing. Serve chilled.