Here it is Theme Thursday, and I have another recipe for you that makes use of zucchini, this time in a slightly different way. These little bites of zucchini with pizza toppings treat the zucchini like the crust of your favorite pizza so there are fewer calories because you’ve eliminated the carbs! Small enough for just a bite or two they could be appetizers, snacks, something to go with soup or a salad, just about any way you want to use them. They are gluten-free , low cal, and perfect for a meatless meal.
If you have a big zucchini to use, slice it straight across and get fairly large rounds, if you have a smaller zucchini, cut it on the diagonal for large ovals. Top them with some sauce, any kind of topping, basil and melted cheese, or whatever you like on your pizza. These are a must to try while zucchini is in season and plentiful.
ZUCCHINI PIZZA BITES
Yield: Quantities listed are for 1 serving. Increase as desired to make more.
- 6 slices large zucchini, 1/4-inch thick ( or 1 medium zucchini, cut on the diagonal)
- olive oil, or olive oil spray
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup crumbled, cooked sausage, or other toppings
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Cut zucchini about 1/4-inch thick. Brush or spray both sides lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Broil or grill the zucchini for about 2 minutes on each side. Top with sauce, topping of choice and cheese and broil for an additional minute or two. Be careful not to burn the cheese.
The ones that are pictured here are topped with fried peppers and onions and some have crumbles of sausage on them. I’ve also made them with a slice of pepperoni. All equally good. You can’t go wrong with these.
SOURCE: slightly adapted from Skinny Taste