These are little bites that contain all the flavors that you love about pizza! I made these awesome nibbles as part of a brunch buffet and everyone loved them. They are extremely easy to make, and you can vary what you put into them according to your taste. Whatever you like for pizza toppings can go into these delicious little morsels. I’m going to keep these in my file as an appetizer or a great snack when game watching, or having an outdoor barbecue. These delicious little puffs will have everyone wanting more.
I used some crumbled pre-cooked sausage and chopped pepperoni in mine plus I added some pizza dough flavoring to the batter. I also included shredded mozzarella cheese because, really, what is pizza without the cheese? When you serve these you will want to have a bowl of warm marinara sauce nearby to spoon over the puffs, or for dipping.
Yield: 24 mini puffs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. pizza seasoning (optional, but good)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces, shredded mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
- 2 ounces chopped pepperoni, about 1/2 cup
- 4 ounces italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 375*F. Grease 24 mini muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients. (flour through pizza seasoning)
2. In another small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the milk and egg. Add to the dry ingredients. Mix to incorporate, then stir in the cheese, pepperoni and sausage.
Let stand 10 minutes. (This is important, it’s what makes them really puff up)
3. Stir batter again, and divide among the muffin cups. Bake till puffed and golden, 20 – 25 minutes.
4. Warm the pizza sauce and serve with the puffs for dipping.
It occurred to me after making these that they could be well suited to a breakfast menu by substituting bacon and chopped ham for the meats, and cheddar cheese for mozzarella. I must try that next time I make these.
SOURCE: adapted from a recipe from Little Kitchen