Sometimes I am in the mood for a comforting meal that’s filling and delicious, but don’t have a lot of time to prepare it. I’m sure you have the same experience on many occasions. Well, I am alway on the look-out for easy to prepare, quick meals, and when I find ones that look interesting, I dog-ear the page, or tear out the clipping. The problem with me is that I can’t remember where I saw it , or where I put the clipping. I just remember enough to purchase the necessary ingredients, and then go “where did I see that recipe? or,” where did I put that clipping?” I am developing a better system of recipe organization, but that story will wait for another time! This recipe meets all my requirements: quick, easy, well-balanced, not very fancy, but just plain good.
For the pasta, I recommend Orzo, because it cooks quickly; and tastes good with some sauce over it. To round out the meal add a vegetable like broccoli, which also cooks quickly, and looks great on the plate with the white pasta and red sauce. A side salad would go well with this meal, but not really necessary. I would, however, have a great white wine with it , like a Chardonnay!
Total time to prepare: about 30 minutes. Yield: 4 servings
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups bottled tomato-basil pasta sauce, or better yet, your own homemade tomato sauce.
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded provolone cheese
- Combine 2 tablespoons of Parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, basil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish.
- Place egg in another shallow dish. Dip each chicken tender in egg, then dredge in bread-crumb mixture.
- Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Set aside in the pan.
- Combine 1/8 teaspoon salt, pasta sauce, vinegar, and pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave sauce mixture at HIGH for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Preheat broiler.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken in the pan. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining Parmesan and all of the provolone cheese. Wrap handle of pan with foil, and broil 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Source: slightly adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
Pingback: Read the Fine Print « Grumpa Joe's Place