Sometimes you want an easy and quick pasta recipe that tastes incredible. Well, this recipe for ravioli with sautéed asparagus is all of that and more. It can be whipped up quickly and the addition of parmesan cheese at the end makes it a culinary masterpiece. I kid you not!
Fresh store bought ravioli is cooked, then tossed with asparagus that has been sautéed in a simple butter and lemon sauce. A little bit of grated parmesan, and minced parsley are added at the end–just give it a toss and you’re done.
I love asparagus, an early sign of spring around here, and I can’t resist buying it when I see it. With asparagus you want a simple sauce to enhance it’s flavor and this light lemony, buttery sauce is just right. All it consists of is butter, lemon juice and a dash of black pepper. Not at all heavy or greasy, it just coats the ravioli and asparagus.
A couple of notes: The asparagus should be slightly damp when you sauté it. This helps with the sauce. So rinse your asparagus right before you chop it and add to the pan.
Also, you can use whatever fresh ravioli you like for this dish–cheese, mushroom, spinach would all be good choices. I used a three-cheese ravioli for mine.
This is a dish that goes together very quickly so be sure to have everything prepped and ready to go before you start cooking. It takes no time to prepare the asparagus, chop the parsley and measure out the other ingredients, so this can be done while you’re waiting for the water to boil for the ravioli.
RAVIOLI WITH SAUTÉED ASPARAGUS
Yield: Serves 2
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh ravioli, filling of choice
- 1/2 pound asparagus, tough ends removed, chopped into thirds
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- few twists, fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese, plus more to serve at the table
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Prepare asparagus by snapping off tough ends, then chopping into thirds, or smaller. Mince parsley, squeeze lemon and measure out butter.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until frothy. Add chopped asparagus to the pan, stir to coat asparagus with butter and cover with a lid. (If asparagus is damp, steam created will hasten cooking.) Cook for 4 – 5 minutes depending on thickness of asparagus.
4. Add ravioli to boiling water and cook as per package directions. Drain when done and place in a bowl. Keep warm.
5. When asparagus is done, add to bowl with ravioli with a slotted spoon. Leave any browned butter in the pan.
6. To the butter in the pan, add lemon juice, several twists fresh pepper, and bring to a boil. Stir for 30 seconds. Pour the butter-lemon sauce over the ravioli and asparagus. This will just lightly coat them.
7. Add parsley and 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat and combine. Serve with more cheese at the table.
This is so good, I can’t wait to make it again.
SOURCE: Adapted from Green Valley Kitchen
yum! asparagus is one of my favorite veggies; love the idea of pairing it with ravioli!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for your comment. So simple to make, yet incredibly good. If you love asparagus, you can’t help but love this dish.
What a wonderful quick weeknight dinner. I would love to try this as it so simple and highlights the ingredients!
Asparagus is amazing when it is in season, I made cream of asparagus soup with mine if you want to check it out!
Hi Rebecca, thanks for the link to your blog. Your asparagus soup looks fantastic. I will be trying it for sure as it’s slightly different from the one I usually make. Carolyn