Thanksgiving may be over, but there are more winter holidays ahead and that probably means there’s going to be more turkey on your table. And that means more leftovers. I have a few standard dishes that I make with leftover turkey beside the all-you-cram-into-it sandwich. There’s turkey pot pie that we love, (see my chicken pot pie recipe) and turkey tetrazzini, another comforting favorite. But sometimes you just want to make something new.
Here’s a recipe that is definitely new, because I just made it up. It’s based on a number of recipes that I had seen for turkey pot-pie, but this is a mash-up that includes your stuffing, vegetables, mashed potatoes and gravy. It’s like having the whole dinner again in a new form, and it tastes fabulous all over again too.
LEFTOVER TURKEY DINNER BAKED DISH
Yield: Makes approximately 6 servings
- 2 cups cooked stuffing
- 3 -4 Tbsp chicken or turkey broth
- 2 Tbsp. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup turkey gravy
- 2 cups cooked turkey, cubed
- 1 cup vegetables, such as peas, carrots, green beans, small white onions, mushrooms, etc.
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, swiss or cheddar is good
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2-3 tbsp. milk or half and half
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, same kind as above.
1. In a small bowl, combine stuffing and enough broth to reach desired moistness; Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch square baking dish, or deep dish pie pan. Bake at 350*F for 10 – 15 minutes until lightly browned.
2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and gravy until smooth. Stir in the turkey, vegetables, grated cheese, salt and pepper. Spoon over stuffing crust.
3. In a small bowl, combine potatoes and cream to loosen the potatoes and make them spreadable. Spread over the turkey filling mixture.
Drizzle with butter, if using; Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
4.. Bake at 350*F. for 25 – 30 minutes or until bubbly, heated through and browned. Serve with additional gravy, that has been warmed.
SOURCE: A Carolyn’s Original