Our weekly menus this summer have been plentiful in these two things: hearty sandwiches and salads. Somehow they seem like the right thing to have on a warm day when cooking is out of the question, so I’m always on the lookout for new combinations, especially for sandwiches. I want them to be dinner-worthy which means they need to include the major components of a meal, be filling and nutritious. This combination of tender salmon fillet with fresh tomatoes and lettuce plus crispy bacon on a focaccia roll is perfect.
I made this one evening a few weeks ago, on a night when I was starving, so I don’t know if I was having an exceptionally good cooking night or if I was just incredibly hungry, but it was just soooo good.
OPEN-FACED SALMON & AVOCADO BLT’S
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 slices diagonally cut ciabatta bread or 2 large ciabatta rolls, cut in half
- 4 center-cut bacon slices
- 4 (4-ounce) salmon fillets, skinned, about 3/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon minced chives, or green onions, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) tomato slices, halved
- 1/2 peeled ripe avocado, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 lemon wedges for serving
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Arrange bread or rolls on a baking sheet; broil 1 minute or until lightly toasted.
3. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Add salmon fillets to drippings in pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
4. Combine canola mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon water, 2 teaspoons minced chives, and Dijon mustard in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
5. Spread mayonnaise mixture evenly over bread slices; top each with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 bacon slice, 2 halved tomato slices, 2 avocado slices and 1 fish fillet.
Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 teaspoon chives. Serve with lemon wedges.
SOURCE: Eating Well