Sometimes I spend so much time doing something (like manicuring my own nails), that by the time it’s complete, I’m entirely disenchanted with the finished product.
The same goes for some recipes. The longer I spend peeling, slicing, dicing, stirring, cooking and cooling, the less I want to eat it in the end. Sad story, right?
Laundry is another example. Gathering, washing, drying, folding, ironing (really?, who irons?) and putting away….AAHHHH. Laundry is boring, not fun, not delicious!
Oh, but this salad though….in and out. No exorbitant amount of time spent slicing and dicing. Just enough to get some veggies ready for the grill. Just enough time to boil water for couscous. Just enough time to put it all together with some tangy feta cheese and create a pretty salad. Let’s carry the bowl over to the table, pull out a chair, sit down and enjoy our efforts. This salad is the perfect balance of veggies, health and kitchen time.
I hope the start of your week is feeling great!
Let’s put some healthy salad in the mix!
SUMMER COUSCOUS SALAD WITH GRILLED SQUASH AND FETA
Yield: 6 – 8 servings
- 2 medium zucchini squash
- 2 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved (optional)
- 2 cups pearl couscous, cooked according to package directions
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves, garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped or 1 tbsp. dried
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (or substitute goat cheese, crumbled )
1. Preheat grill.
2 Slice both kinds of squash lengthwise. Baste with olive oil and garlic.
3. Grill until tender, about 6 – 8 minutes per side.
4. Remove squash from grill and cut into bite-sized pieces.
5. In a large bowl, mix cooked couscous with squash and remaining ingredients. Garnish with feta. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SOURCE: Eating Well