It was a holiday weekend with time to prepare a leisurely breakfast. One of our favorite breakfasts consists of bacon and eggs with home fries or hash browns. But instead of preparing them all separately, my thought was to mix them all up into a baked casserole. This is how it all came together….
It took about 15 minutes to assemble, and 45 – 50 minutes baking time, so while it baked I was able to make a fresh fruit salad to go along with it. This turned out to be a savory mixture of eggs, cheese, bacon, hash brown, and spices, that got us off to a great start. Keep this one in mind if you’re planning a busy weekend, and need a hearty start to get you going.
HASH BROWNS, BACON AND EGG BAKE
Yield: about 6 servings
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes,
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese blend
- 6 eggs, or 3 whole eggs, and 1/2 cup egg beater substitute
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic-herb seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper sauce
- 4 – 5 slices bacon, precooked and crumbled
- jarred salsa, if desired, for serving
1. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with non-stick spray. Preheat the oven to 350*F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, crumbled bacon, and 1 cup of cheese. Spread evenly in the baking dish.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs thoroughly with a wire whisk. Add the milk, herb blend seasoning and hot sauce. Blend well. Pour over potato-cheese mixture.
Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly over all.
4. Bake in 350* oven for 45-50 minutes. When cooked, a knife inserted just off-center, should be “clean” when removed. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares for serving. Serve with salsa if desired.
SOURCE: A Carolyn’s Original