Often my cravings dictate what I cook more than what’s available in the produce department of the supermarket. However today’s meal is not one of them. At the market this week bell peppers in all colors were specially priced, there was a load of zucchini, medium sized and tender and in the frozen foods section cheese ravioli in all shapes and sizes were being featured. All that spoke to me, no, shouted at me, ” hey, don’t you think we belong together?” Embarrassed by all that shouting, I quietly gathered them up and put them into my grocery cart, while thoughts of
sugarplums, casseroles, danced in my head.
Somewhere in the farthest corner of my brain I remembered seeing a recipe that used cheese ravioli and zucchini together. At the time I thought it seemed rather bland, but after I searched it out, and thought about how I could tweak it, I used it as a basis for this version that turned out to be rather fabulous. Mr. D. said he thinks he likes it better than vegetable lasagna. The ravioli and vegetables are surrounded by a creamy, not-too-thick cheese sauce, giving the whole lots of flavor. This was so satisfying, all it needed for completion was a green salad. This is definitely a make-again meal.
A bonus to this meal is that it takes very little time to prepare making it a good week night meal, and its meatless too!
CHEESE RAVIOLI WITH ZUCCHINI
Yield: Servings, 4
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 package ( 9-ounces) cheese ravioli
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium zucchini, julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/teaspoon dried parsley
1. Cook the ravioli as its package directs.
2. Combine cream and chicken broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
3. Melt butter in a large skillet, sauté the onion until translucent. Add the pepper strips and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the zucchini, salt and garlic powder. Cook 1 – 2 minutes until tender.
4. Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, basil and parsley to the cream sauce. Drain the ravioli and add to the cream sauce. Add the skillet vegetables. Toss to coat.
5. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top before serving.
SOURCE: I made major modifications to a recipe from Taste of Home.