This loaded baked potato is stuffed with lean turkey chili, low-fat shredded cheese and topped with sour cream and chopped scallions, a quick and easy weeknight meal.
I love a dish that can be served several ways. Using the left-over Slow-Cooker Turkey Chili, that I wrote about last week, I baked some russet potatoes, (either in the oven or microwave), and spooned the hot chili over the top. Then capped it all off with shredded Mexican Blend cheese, low fat sour cream, some chopped scallions. It was ready in a very short time and my husband loved it.
Last week in my recipe for au gratin potatoes, I discussed the health values of potatoes. The same holds true for this meal plus the added value of vegetables in the chili and lean protein in the turkey. How can you go wrong when there are so many good reasons to eat a meal like this one, and it tastes satisfying and delicious too.
LOADED TURKEY CHILI BAKED POTATO
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 russet potatoes, about 5 -6 ounces each
- 2 cups Slow-cooker Turkey Chili
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
- 2 Tablespoons chopped scallions or chives
- reduced fat sour cream or Greek yogurt for topping
1. Wash and dry potatoes. Poke holes in them with a fork, then cook in the microwave using the baked potato setting until potatoes are soft and cooked through (about 8 – 10 minutes on HIGH ), or bake in conventional oven for 45 min.- 1 hour at 400*F.
2. Split open the potato in half, lengthwise, and press the sides to open the top. Spoon on 1/4 cup shredded cheese and 1/2 cup hot chili. Then add sour cream and chopped scallions or chives. Enjoy!