Just the name of these muffins puts you in a good mood doesn’t it? Somehow it feels like you’re going to have a good day. I like to call them “glorious morning muffins”, and they are one of my favorites. They can turn the dreariest morning into a glorious one. : )
These carrot-flecked whole-grain muffins can be made ahead so you can hit the floor running on a busy morning. Add a non-fat latte and your day will be off to a healthy start.
COCONUT-CARROT MORNING GLORY MUFFINS
YIELD: 12 muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, or coconut oil, melted if necessary
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper liners
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, 1/2 cup oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and allspice in a medium bowl.
3. Whisk eggs, applesauce, honey and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk in oil. Gently stir in the flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in carrots, 1/2 cup coconut, raisins and nuts, if using.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Mix together the remaining oats, and coconut. Sprinkle on muffin tops.
5. Bake at 350* until they spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached, 30 – 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Delicious as they are when first made and eaten warm, they also seem to improve over night and taste even better the next day, when flavors have had time to blend.