I’m thinking green, people. I don’t mean environmentally green as in recycle, reduce, reuse or regift. I mean the color green, as in grass, spring, shamrocks, emeralds, (woo-hoo, my birthstone!).
What got me thinking along these lines was a display of fresh asparagus at the supermarket. This vegetable says spring to me like no other so I had to buy some. And then the question, ‘what shall I make with it?’ I pondered: roast asparagus? steamed asparagus with butter sauce? asparagus with eggs? No, even though I like all those dishes, I wanted something more substantial that would make a whole meal. So, remembering that I had a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer, ( remember my resolution not to forget about foods in the freezer?) I decided on the following recipe for Penne with Asparagus and Shrimp. This is a healthy, hearty, yet easy recipe that is good enough to serve to guests. It also makes a great take-along lunch for the next day.
PENNE WITH ASPARAGUS AND SHRIMP
SERVES: about 4 generously
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for the table
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes; drain
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Pour in the white wine, and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the red pepper flakes, butter, and asparagus;
Cook until the asparagus is just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and lemon juice, continue cooking until the shrimp have turned pink and are no longer translucent in the center. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Toss the cooked penne pasta with the shrimp and asparagus mixture. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan cheese to garnish.
This just keeps getting better and better!
Serve with more parmesan cheese at the table to sprinkle on each serving.
What a great dish of green! I love asparagus. I agree they scream “Spring” in my ears. I just love them. Your penne with asparagus and shrimps looks scrumptious. I don’t mind to have it every night. 😛 Happy Friday and wish you a good weekend.
Hello Amy, it’s very nice to meet you. Thank you for visiting my blog and your nice comment. I too love asparagus and there are so many different ways to prepare them. I think we are all a little anxious for Spring!
My husband loves asparagus. I should try asparagus in pasta. Can’t believe I’ve never tried it that way before!