In the area where I live many of the farms are still picking strawberries, since the days have been very warm and sunny. I didn’t want to miss out on having some native strawberries, but I also didn’t want to use my oven unless really necessary. This recipe for a no-bake version of strawberry pie caught my attention for those reasons. The combination of juicy spring berries piled atop a layer of creamy filling in a chocolate crust. What’s not to like here?
- 1 ready-made chocolate crumb 9 inch pie crust (such as Oreo)
- 6 ounces 1/3 less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed (I used fat-free)
- 2 Tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
- 1 Tablespoon raspberry-flavored liqueur (I use my own homemade liqueur, but Chambord is one you can purchase)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and cut in half, or pieces
- Place pie crust in the freezer to chill while you make the filling.
- Place cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping. Carefully spread over bottom of crust.
- Place strawberry jam in a large microwave safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 10 seconds or until softened . Add liqueur and lemon juice; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add the berries; toss to coat the berries with the jam mixture.
- Arrange berries over the filling. Chill for 30 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges; serves 8
SOURCE: slightly adapted from Cooking Light Magazine, May, 2012
This cake was my other contribution to the dessert table at my granddaughter’s graduation party. You may have seen it around, called “Better than Sex Cake”. However, for a new high school graduate I thought it was more appropriate to name it Better Than Homework Cake. No matter what name it gets, I call it wonderful. Everyone will want to know what makes it so moist and what IS that flavor I taste?
I got the recipe from all-recipes.com, where you can find many variations. Since the graduate loves chocolate and so do I there had to be a chocolate something on that table. S0 this is it:
BETTER THAN SEX/HOMEWORK CAKE
- 1 boxed cake mix: Devils Food
- ingredients called for on the box: eggs, vegetable oil, water
- 1/2 can condensed milk
- 6 0z (3/4 cup) caramel topping
- 1 bag chocolate-toffee chips such as Skor or Heath (or crush candy bars, if you can’t find the chips)
- 8 0z container Cool Whip
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease well a 13″ x 9″ baking pan.
2. Prepare cake mix as directed on the box. Bake in prepared pan as box suggests. Remove from oven when it tests done with a toothpick. Allow to cool about 5 minutes.
3. With the handle of a wooden spoon poke holes all over the top of the cake, taking care not to go all the way to the bottom. (Alternately, you can cut lines all over the cake top, again do not go too deep to the bottom).
4. While cake is finished baking and cooling, mix together the condensed milk and caramel topping in a glass measuring cup and heat in the microwave; it does not need to get real hot. Stir well to combine. After cake has slightly cooled, pour slowly over the cake letting it soak in. Sprinkle with about half the toffee chips.
5. At serving time, top the cake with the Cool Whip, sprinkle with more chocolate-toffee chips, and drizzle with caramel syrup. This is one ooey, gooey, scrumptiousdessert—-to die for!