In the area where I live many of the farms are still picking strawberries, since the days have been very warm and sunny. I didn’t want to miss out on having some native strawberries, but I also didn’t want to use my oven unless really necessary. This recipe for a no-bake version of strawberry pie caught my attention for those reasons. The combination of juicy spring berries piled atop a layer of creamy filling in a chocolate crust. What’s not to like here?
- 1 ready-made chocolate crumb 9 inch pie crust (such as Oreo)
- 6 ounces 1/3 less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed (I used fat-free)
- 2 Tablespoons seedless strawberry jam
- 1 Tablespoon raspberry-flavored liqueur (I use my own homemade liqueur, but Chambord is one you can purchase)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and cut in half, or pieces
- Place pie crust in the freezer to chill while you make the filling.
- Place cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping. Carefully spread over bottom of crust.
- Place strawberry jam in a large microwave safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 10 seconds or until softened . Add liqueur and lemon juice; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add the berries; toss to coat the berries with the jam mixture.
- Arrange berries over the filling. Chill for 30 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges; serves 8
SOURCE: slightly adapted from Cooking Light Magazine, May, 2012