October may be over, but anything pumpkin seems to still be a popular item. Especially with Thanksgiving coming up. If pumpkin pie is not your thing, or you would like something other than pie for your holiday dessert table, these dessert squares will surely fit the bill.
Recipes featuring the great orange squash are still popping up everywhere. I have a whole board devoted to pumpkin on Pinterest….it’s called “Pumpkin Anything” and so many pictures from that board get repinned. Today’s recipe is one that I found on Pinterest, one of those quick and easy baked items that use a cake mix for convenience. You’re gonna love this one 🙂
This dessert is fabulous, tasting like pumpkin pie, but rather cake-like, a cross between cake and a creamy dessert square. The pecans on top give it some crunch, so you have a nice contrast between the creamy pumpkin layer, the cake layer and the topping. Oh, and be sure to dollop each serving with some whipped cream. This makes a 13″ x 9″ pan, so there will be plenty of servings, about 20 – 24.
PUMPKIN CRUNCH CAKE
Yield: Makes 20 – 24 servings
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 12-0z. can evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 box Yellow Cake mix
- 1/2 – 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 sticks butter, melted ( I used 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup coconut oil with good results.)
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray a 13″ x 9″ pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Pour into the prepared baking pan.
3. Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the pumpkin layer. If the mix is very lumpy, run it through a sifter before sprinkling it on.
4. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top of cake mix.
5. Drizzle butter over all. Bake at 350*F. for 50 – 55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
SOURCE: Itty Bitty Homestead
Oh wow it looks so good ❤