Gad-Zooks! You planted a few seeds, a harmless enough activity, hoping to get a few zucchini to enjoy over the summer, and suddenly you’re up to your ears in zucchini. You’ve already been through zucchini bread, zucchini casserole, zucchini with peppers and onions, zucchini muffins, and stuffed zucchini. What’s left to make? zucchini fudge? zucchini frosting for that chocolate cake? zucchini ice cream? Here’s a novel idea, how about zucchini soup?
I’ll admit it’s weird thinking about soup when its so warm outside. Hot soup. I didn’t even have the decency to make cold soup. It’s just in-your-face hot–smack dab in the middle of a July summer. That takes some nerve!
But please forgive me because this soup is sooo good! My family loves it and it is so easy to make. With only 5 ingredients, it takes only about 30 minutes start to finish, and one large bowl is only 60 calories, or 1 WW point.
I often serve it with a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh grated cheese, but that’s completely up to you. You can add fresh herbs, yellow squash, or some cauliflower, or whatever you wish. Served with some crusty bread or a salad and it’s a complete meal, or make it as a starter to any meal. To make it vegetarian use vegetable broth. I usually make it with chicken broth.
Make this soup and stay cool; maybe eat it sitting in front of the refrigerator with the door open……..enjoy!
CREAM OF ZUCCHINI SOUP
Serving: 4 size, 1 1/2 cups, calories, 60, fat 1g, carb 10 g,
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3-4 cloves garlic,
- 3 medium zucchini, leave skin on, cut into large chunks
- 32 oz. reduced sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- fresh grated cheese (Parmesan or asiago) for topping (optional)
1. In a large pot, over medium heat, combine the chicken broth, zucchini, onion and garlic, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
2. Puree with an immersion blender, add the sour cream and puree again until smooth.
3. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking. Serve hot.
SOURCE: Skinny Taste