There’s a certain kind of math that goes on in my head every time I stare into my refrigerator and try to decide what to make for dinner.
It goes something like this: 6 eggs, 1/2 bag of cheese tortellini, part of a head of broccoli, 1 stick of butter, some leftover chicken soup, a block of cream cheese, 4 slices of bacon, and half a loaf of Italian bread.
There’s also a strange correlation at work–the less time I have and the hungrier I am, the harder it is to process all this math. Let’s see, if I scramble the eggs and mix them with warm garlicy broccoli, and sprinkle toasted bread crumbs over the top, would that work?
Oh, wait–how about if I cook the tortellini, mix it with broccoli, and treat the mixture like macaroni salad with a mayonnaise dressing. Top if off with a sprinkle of bacon? Yes, now is there enough mayonnaise? Do I have a lemon? And what’s this?—one romaine heart hiding at the back of the crisper drawer! Perfect, I’ll serve the salad on a bed of romaine. Whew! That was a tough one.
I’m wishing you the same kind of success when this happens to you. 🙂
TORTELLINI AND BROCCOLI SALAD
Yield: Serves 4
- 8 0z. refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Romaine lettuce or spring greens mix
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (vegetarians can omit bacon)
1. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Add broccoli florets in the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Drain, and rinse with cold water to stop cooking action. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients, i.e.. mayonnaise through salt. Pour this over the tortellini and broccoli, and mix well to coat evenly.
3. On a large platter or serving dish, arrange the salad greens, Spoon the tortellini salad on top. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and serve.
This salad is good slightly warm or at room temperature, or thoroughly chilled. Try it on a warm day when you want a quick, cold meal.
SOURCE: Another of my own creations!