It was Father’s Day and the grill was hot. What else do we do but grill out when Father’s Day rolls around. It was a perfect sunny day, one where you wanted to be outside. But some things require preparation in the kitchen, so I started them early, allowing me to spend as much time outdoors as possible. This was going to be a meal to knock-his-socks-off! I had high expectations that it would turn out fabulous and I’m pleased to report that it was a home run. It was so good that it will take more than one post to tell you all about it.
Let me start with the main attraction: the barbecued chicken with a spicy rhubarb B-Q-sauce. Barbecue sauce is hardly the place where you would expect to find rhubarb, and that’s partly what I love about this tangy-sweet sauce tinged with smoky heat. Extra sauce can be refrigerated for up to a month. I am planning on using it on some burgers and pork chops in the very near future.
This is how to make the BBQ sauce. You can make it well in advance and stick it in the fridge for whenever it is you want to use it.
Yield: Makes about 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/4 cups ( 1/2-inch) slices rhubarb
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
Add rhubarb; cook 3 minutes or until rhubarb is translucent, stirring occasionally.
Add 1/2 cup water, sugar, ketchup, vinegar, chipotle, mustard and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 6 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
2. Place the rhubarb mixture in a blender container. Remove the center piece of blender lid-to allow steam to escape–secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in bender lid to avoid splatters. Blend rhubarb mixture until smooth.
Pour into a bowl to cool. Cover and refrigerate if not using immediately.
GRILLED CHICKEN WITH SPICY RHUBARB B-Q SAUCE
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned (about 2 1/2 pounds) I used leg quarters.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- 1 cup Rhubarb-BQ Sauce
1. Preheat grill to high heat.
2. Combine oil and chicken; toss to coat. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill 6 minutes or until well-marked. Brush chicken on both sides with B-Q sauce.
Continue to cook, turning and brushing with sauce until glossy and browned, about 12 minutes more, or until tender.
SOURCE: Weeknight Grilling with the BBQ Queens