Beets are one vegetable that I’ve had a complete turn-around on. That is to say, I didn’t used to like them and now I love them. Roasting is what brought about my change of heart. Once beets have been roasted they taste like a completely different vegetable. I’ve described my method for roasting them in an earlier blog post that you can find here. I frequently use them in salads as they combine well with other vegetables and some fruits.
Oranges are one of the fruits that play well with beets. Their citrusy sweetness goes well with the sweetness that roasting brings out in beets. Then I add some greens for color and texture contrast and nuts for crunch, in this case, pistachios. Over the top is drizzled a Dijon vinaigrette dressing and some crumbled goat cheese. Mr. D. loves this salad and asks for it on many occasions. I kind of like it too!
Please note, in the recipe below, directions are given for quickly cooking beets in the microwave if you are short on time for oven roasting them. This works well in a pinch.
BEET AND ORANGE SALAD WITH GOAT CHEESE
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds halved, peeled beets (wear gloves for peeling or you will have stained fingers)
- 1 navel orange, peeled and sectioned
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/3 cup salted pistachios
- 2 Tablespoons goat cheese
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper
1. Wrap beets in parchment paper. Microwave on HIGH until tender, about 7 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 1-inch pieces and place in a salad bowl.
2. Section the orange and place the pieces in the salad bowl with the beets.**
3. Add the salad greens to the salad bowl with the beets and orange sections.
4. Whisk together all the dressing ingredients till well blended. Add to salad bowl. Toss to coat.
5. Top with the pistachio nuts and crumbled goat cheese.
** When I make this salad for two of us, I construct it on salad plates, as you see pictured.
SOURCE: Cooking Light