Ever since making the salmon kebabs a few weeks ago, I’ve been thinking about adapting that recipe idea and using shrimp in place of the salmon. Grilled shrimp on skewers seasoned with cumin and garlic, and finished with lime juice instead of the lemon. I loved the look of the kebabs with the slices of lemon separating the chunks of salmon, so why not use lime slices with shrimp.
We loved this recipe with the shrimp. Since I was using my grill to cook something else, while it was on I also cooked the shrimp, with plans for using them cold in a salad another day. These would also be great served hot with a rice pilaf, and a big green salad.
CILANTRO LIME SHRIMP
Yield: 4 servings
- 16 large, raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large clove garlic
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water, 1 hour
- 1 or 2 limes thinly sliced
1. Heat the grill to medium heat and rub the grates with a paper towel sprayed with olive oil spray. Season the shrimp with garlic, cumin, salt and half the cilantro in a medium bowl.
2. Beginning and ending with shrimp, thread the shrimp and folded lime slices onto 4 pairs of parallel skewers to make a total of 4 kebabs.
3. Grill the shrimp, turning occasionally, until shrimp are opaque throughout, about 1 – 2 minutes on each side. Top with remaining cilantro and freshly squeezed lime juice before serving.
SOURCE: adapted from Bon Appetit