Recipes for making BBQ chicken on the outdoor grill are a dime a dozen. They seem to be in every food publication you look at, and I think most folks have their favorite way of doing it. So what can I add that’s new? Probably not a whole lot!!
I guess I just want to brag about how great my latest batch of grilled chicken came out. It was very well done, but not dried out; flavorful, but not overly sweet or spicy; a little charred but not burned beyond recognition. AND, I made the spice rub and the basting sauce from scratch. Along side the chicken I grilled corn on the cob and cooked fresh green beans with a little bacon for added flavor. This turned out to be a wonderful summertime meal that was pretty fuss-free.
The recipe calls for a quantity of chicken that could be all thighs, or a mixture of thighs and drumsticks. It’s worth making a lot if you do it because its great cold for lunch cut up over a green salad, or used to make a chicken salad. Anyway you eat this chicken it is enjoyable, hot or cold.
GRILLED CHICKEN WITH HONEY-CHIPOTLE BBQ SAUCE
Yield: 4- 6 servings
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1/4 cup low sodium catsup
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard ( I used 1 tsp. spicy brown mustard.)
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken leg-quarters, legs and thighs separated or all thighs or all drumsticks for a total of 8 pieces
- cooking spray
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil, swirl to coat. Add shallots, sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in catsup and next 5 ingredients (through chipotle powder), and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Combine 1/4 tsp. salt, garlic powder, cumin and black pepper; sprinkle over the chicken, Place chicken on grill coated with cooking spray; Grill 15 minutes on each side until done.
4. Baste chicken generously with sauce; turn over, and grill 1 minute. Baste again; turn over, and grill 1 minute. Serve with any remaining sauce.
SOURCE: Cooking Light