If you’re getting the idea that I made a lot of appetizers recently, you’d be right. The holiday weekend brought with it invitations to two cookouts and when that happens I like to volunteer the same kinds of dishes to both events. So it was appetizers and desserts that I brought to each cookout.
This particular appetizer was one that I found in a new cookbook that I got when I was on vacation last fall. It fuses the flavors of a shrimp cocktail with a taco dip. I must say that it turned out to be very popular and it disappeared quite quickly. I find that when I bring a dish to a gathering, I either forget to take a picture of it, or when I do remember it has already been half eaten, which is the case here. So please forgive the lack of a decent photograph of this yummy dip that I served with reduced-fat baked tortilla chips. All the ingredients in the dip are on the low end of the calorie/fat scale so that I could enjoy having some along with everyone else.
I would also like to tell you about this cookbook that I found in a little gift shop when I was in North Carolina last fall. It is one of a series whose titles all begin with the words, “Any Bitch can —” with Bitch being an anachronym for Babe in Total Control of Herself My book is called “Any Bitch can lose it”. That is meant in a good way!
SHRIMP TACO DIP
Yield: about 2 cups
- 8 – oz. less-fat cream cheese
- 2 T. skim milk
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 T. Taco seasoning
- 1 (4 – oz.) can tiny shrimp, drained, rinsed
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Mix the cream cheese and milk in a mixing bowl until smooth. Stir in the chili sauce and taco seasoning, and combine well.
2. Add in the shrimp, scallions, green pepper and cheese. Stir to incorporate evenly. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
3. Spoon into a serving bowl and surround with reduced-fat tortilla chips.
SOURCE: Any Bitch can Lose it.