When I think of picnics and cookouts I think of deviled eggs. The dad of my husband’s family loves deviled eggs and we always have them at every gathering; usually made the traditional way with mayonnaise, mustard, a little sour cream and a sprinkle of paprika on top. This is the way it’s always been and we just don’t mess with a good thing.
Along comes yours truly who’s always tampering with recipes and I saw this idea for mixing guacamole with the deviled egg filling; and since bacon also goes with eggs why not add some of that too? Two great foods that we love can only get better when combined, right? No matter how you look at it these had to be a match made in heaven. Well, turns out I was right on that score. Just about everyone at our cookout loved my new-fangled deviled eggs—except the dad. I made a few the way he likes them just for him!
If you like deviled eggs and you also like guacamole, then I think you’re going to like these eggs very much! Make a lot, they will disappear quickly.
BACON GUACAMOLE DEVILED EGGS
Servings: 6 Increase ingredients accordingly for larger amounts.
- 6 eggs, boiled, peeled and cut in half
- 1 large ripe avocado, mashed
- 2 Tbsp. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 Tbsp. jalapeño, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. diced tomato
- 1 Tbsp. red onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice ( ~ 1/2 lime)
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- salt, and pepper and cayenne to taste
- pinch chili powder for garnish
1. Scoop the yolks out of the eggs and mash in a bowl with the avocado. Add the bacon, jalapeño, onion, tomato, lime juice and cilantro. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
2. Place a tablespoon of the mixture back into the holes left by the egg yolks and serve garnished with a pinch of chili powder.
SOURCE: Adapted from a recipe on ZIP LIST