This recipe makes the cutest little individual cakes, with a creamy lemon sauce poured over them. More cake-like than muffin and not very sweet they are surprisingly sophisticated for your most elegant summer gatherings. The addition of cornmeal to the batter provides some crunchiness and the zesty lemon flavor combines perfectly with the delicate flavor of blueberries.
This is the dessert I mentioned in yesterday’s post that completed the pork tenderloin meal, but I think these would also be great for an outdoor picnic too. Most people seem to enjoy it when they are served their own perfect little cake, so bake these in small custard cups or ramekins that hold between 5 – 6 ounces. To serve them, turn upside down on a serving plate or shallow dessert dish, and spoon some of the lemon sauce over the top. I particularly enjoy them when they are still somewhat warm; or they could be briefly heated in the microwave before serving.
BLUEBERRY LEMON CORNMEAL CAKES
Yield: makes 8 small cakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or nonfat plain yogurt (not Greek)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed and dried
To Make the cakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F. Lightly grease eight 5 to 6 -ounce ramekins or baking cups.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the remaining ingredients except the berries, then stir into the dry mixture until just combined. Fold in the blueberries. Divide the batter among the baking dishes/ramekins.
3. Bake the cakes for 24 – 26 minutes, until the centers are firm to the touch. Transfer to a rack to cool.
This recipe for lemon sauce can be made with either water or half milk. The water version has a brighter lemon flavor; when made with milk it’s a little creamier. That is how I made mine.
YIELD: Makes 1 1/2 cups or about 10 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, salt and nutmeg. Gradually stir in the water and milk, then bring to a simmer over low heat until the mixture thickens and becomes translucent. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, lemon zest and juice and serve.
SOURCES: For the cakes: King Arthur Flour Baking Co.
For the sauce: all recipes.com