On Christmas morning I’m usually torn between wanting to open gifts, and getting something ready for breakfast. Of course, I start with coffee—I must have my coffee before anything. Breakfast should be hearty enough to sustain us until we have dinner later in the day, so it can take some time to prepare.
So I have been experimenting with breakfast casseroles to come up with a recipe that can be assembled the evening before and just popped into the oven the next morning. While it bakes you can be hanging out in you pj’s, tearing open those presents, and enjoying the smell of something wonderful baking in the oven.
I’ve recently found packages of pre made polenta at the grocery store. They are tube shaped and wrapped in a plastic wrapper. Usually found in a refrigerator case somewhere near the deli department. This can be a great convenience if you know what to do with it. So that is what I have been experimenting with. This recipe uses the sliced polenta to make a crust (of sorts), into which you layer some precooked breakfast sausage, seasonings, and an egg/milk mixture. Top with cheese, bake, and out will come a spicy, cheesy, egg dish that is hearty and filling. In the pictures you see here I have made only half the recipe for two of us, and not having bulk sausage on hand I used brown and serve sausages, cut into slices.
SAUSAGE WITH POLENTA BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
SERVES: 6 – 8
- 1 16-ounce roll polenta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 10 – 12 ounces breakfast sausage, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash hot pepper sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Using 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, brush into a 9-inch pie dish or similar baking dish.
2. Slice the polenta into 1/2 inch thick slices, and arrange in the bottom and up around the sides of the baking dish to form a “crust’.
3. Put the remaining teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet, crumble in the sausage and cook to render the fat from the sausage and brown it.. Add the green onions and garlic powder; sauté 5 minutes. Remove from heat and spread over polenta in the baking dish.
4. In a medium bowl, Mix the eggs, milk, salt and hot pepper sauce. Pour over the sausage mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
5. In the morning, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Uncover dish, sprinkle on the shredded cheese, and bake at 425 for 25 minutes or until set.
SOURCE: A Carolyn Original