We have come to the end of our second week on a low carbohydrate diet, and I can tell you that Mr. D. has lost 4 lb. and I have lost 3 lb. So we are continuing with this meal plan, but now we can begin to add a few more carbohydrates into each day’s meal plan. On the weekend I made this quiche for a late breakfast/brunch. It is very filling because of the quantity of ingredients, and we were satisfied enough by it to not eat again until dinnertime. I did make a few adjustments to lower the carbohydrate level as explained below.
Most quiche recipes call for a pie crust shell (as this one does), into which you layer your filling and egg mixtures. I used 4 ( 8″ ) corn tortillas, to line my pie dish, overlapping them slightly on the bottom and extending them up the sides of the dish. Corn tortillas are lower in total carbs than pie crust plus they provide a little fiber. Also, instead of the 1 cup milk called for in the recipe I used 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup water to make the 1 cup liquid needed.
This recipe makes 6 servings.
1 refrigerated Pie Crust from a 15 oz. package, softened at room temperature as directed on the package. OR, substitute 4 ( 8″ ) corn tortillas.
- 1 1/2 cup cooked, cubed ham
- 6 oz. ( 1 1/2 cup ) shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 cup broccoli florets, either precooked leftovers, or frozen ones, thawed
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk, or 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make pie crust as directed on package for one-crust filled pie using a 9-inch glass pie pan. Or line pie pan with the corn tortillas.
2. Layer ham, broccoli, and 1 cup of cheese in the crust-lined pan. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs and all the remaining ingredients. Combine well. Pour over what’s in the pan.
3. Bake 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle on the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Return to oven till cheese is melted. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving as it will cut better.
SOURCE: Healthy Meals in Minutes