We enjoyed the company and friendship of some close friends at a picnic/cookout over the weekend. After the parade we all gathered in the backyard of one family, and everyone contributed a side dish or dessert. And of course, the men were in charge of the grill and its designated foods.
Salads of all kinds are usually welcome, and easy to transport, so this salad was my contribution. It is cool, creamy and tangy, and comes together in a flash. Make the dressing in advance, and carry to the picnic in a separate container. Toss it with the cucumbers and onions just before serving, otherwise the cucumbers will release too much water. This salad got rave reviews, so I thought I would share it with you.
- 1/4 cup low-fat greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 1/2 cups thinly sliced cucumber (about 2 large)
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- Combine all ingredients except cucumber and onion, in a food processor or a blender, and process until well blended.
- Place sliced cucumbers and onions in a large bowl, drizzle with the dressing mixture , and toss to coat.
Source: Cooking Light Magazine