The original name for this recipe was Blueberry Crumb Bread. In my mind breads are baked in a bread/loaf pan. If you bake it in a square or round baking pan, it is no longer bread, but some form of cake. I know, I know, a minor technicality, but to please me I’m calling it cake, because it gets baked in a baking pan.
There are many descriptive phrases I would apply to this recipe such as: tastes very good, great for breakfast or brunch, quick to make, good use of blueberries, and good for you. One cup of blueberries supplies 27% of your daily requirement of vitamin E, and contain antioxidants as well. So there is every reason to make and eat this enjoyable “cake”. The day I made it, I baked it late in the afternoon so it was still warm for dinner and we had it for dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. But hot out of the oven it would be a wonderful addition to your Sunday morning breakfast.
BLUEBERRY CRUMB CAKE
SERVINGS: 10 PIECES
- 1 & 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup non-fat buttermilk ( No buttermilk? In a measuring cup combine 2/3 cup low-fat milk and 1 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice. Stir and let stand a few minutes before using ).
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch square or round baking pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, and salt. Mix well. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until coarse crumbs form.
3. Remove 1/3 cup of this mixture to a small bowl; set aside to be used for topping. Add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg to remaining flour mixture.
4. In another small bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Mix well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just moistened. Spoon batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
5. Sprinkle the berries over the top of the batter. If necessary, use the palm of your hand to gently smooth the berries into an even layer.
6. Combine the reserved topping and nuts (if using). Sprinkle over the berries. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack and cool slightly.
SOURCE: Healthy Meals in Minutes