Avocados will make you healthier right now!! And here’s 5 good reasons why…..
1. They protect your eyes from disease. Avocados have a very high content (more than any other fruit) of the carotenoid lutein, which protects agains cataracts and macular degeneration–a leading cause of blindness.
2. They will lower your cholesterol. Avocados are high in beta-sitosterol, a natural substance that has been shown to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. In one study, 45 people saw an average drop in cholesterol of 17% after eating avocados for just one week.
3. They help regulate and reduce blood pressure. Avocados are a great source of potassium, containing even more than bananas. Studies confirm that eating foods high in potassium (and low in sodium) can lower blood pressure and reduce your risk of stroke.
4. They are a great source of vitamin E. Avocados are the greatest fruit source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that protects against many diseases and helps maintain overall health.
5. They will moisturize your skin. Avocado butter and oil, two deep-conditioning emollients, will soften skin, eliminate dry patches, and restore your skin’s elasticity. Try some beauty products enriched with avocado butter and oil.
Now to get you started on the road to eating more avocados, here is one of my favorite ways to eat them. Most mornings I grab my coffee, a hard boiled egg and some fruit, or a nutrient dense muffin, but when I’ve got a few extra minutes, this is the breakfast I love. It starts with whole grain or rye toast with mashed avocado spread on it. That is topped with a runny egg, either fried or poached. There’s something about the combination of crispy toast, creamy avocado, and runny egg that is so satisfying. It doesn’t get any better than that, and it keeps me going all morning.
AVOCADO and EGG ON TOAST
Yield: Serves one
- 1 slice of whole grain bread, toasted
- 1 oz, mashed avocado ( about 1/4 small avocado)
- splash, fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce, optional
1. Mash the avocado in a small bowl with a splash of lemon or lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a small non-stick skillet, or egg poaching pan, over low heat. Spray with cooking spray. Crack the egg into the skillet or cup of poaching pan. Cover and cook to your liking.
3. Spread the avocado on the toast, top with the egg, and add a splash of hot sauce, if desired.
This is one of most favorite breakfast 🙂