How strange it is! It’s not quite over, but it’s over. Is it the same where you are? Here where I live, September should have felt like the soft days at the end of summer, but instead it’s gotten cool way too soon. Mornings have been down right chilly–sweater and jacket chilly. I’m hoping that Mother Nature will change her mind (just like a woman does), and bring back some warmth.
But now that October is here, we’re in the middle of things; in a transition period, when we have to put away the bathing suits, shorts and flip flops, and maybe bring out that infinity scarf. A pumpkin spice latte tastes really good. Seasons don’t change in a snap, there’s always a transition period, a time to settle in, take a deep breath, absorb the last of warm breezes, and get ready for crisp, cool nights, apples and cider, and the world around us bursting with vibrant color.
This salad feels like a lovely transition. Fresh apples and fennel make it easy to move into Autumn. Add some arugula for its peppery notes, salty roasted pistachios, sweet dried apricots, and some salty Parmesan. It’s all about balance–sweet, salty, and spicy!
It’s also very versatile! Substitute currants or dried cranberries for the apricots. Add spinach and parsley instead of arugula. Try a balsamic vinaigrette instead of lemon juice. This salad can be exactly what you want it to be.
What’s also great about this salad is that most of it can be assembled long before it’s served. Everything but the greens can be tossed together and left covered in the refrigerator for a day and then tossed with the arugula ( or your preferred greens), just before serving. Easy breezy as we transition into Autumn.
SALAD: APPLE + FENNEL+PISTACHIOS+ APRICOT
Yield: Serves 4 Adjust ingredients accordingly to make more.
- 1 large Fuji or Golden Delicious apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 large handfuls arugula, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl toss together the thinly sliced apples, fennel, arugula, and red onions. Drizzle with lemon juice, vinegar, and olive oil. Add the dried apricot pieces, pistachios and cheese. Toss to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper and toss just before serving. Serve soon after assembling.
SOURCE: All Recipes
Such a lovely combination of Italian flavours here… Thank you Carolyn!
You’re so welcome!
Thank you so much. Not only pretty but tastes wonderful too.