Oodles of noodles is what’s in this soup. And vegetables, asian seasonings, and eggs all swirled together in a chicken broth. A light meal to be sure, one to have on hand for when you’re not starving, just feeling a little peckish, and need something to stimulate your taste buds. This is what I would want if I had been sick, and was just getting my appetite back.
With healthy ingredients going into it, you’re bound to feel healthy after eating it. Rich chicken broth, green onions, ginger, garlic, carrots, noodles and eggs. Sounds like a prescription to me, but certainly not a bitter pill to swallow. Think of it as a dressed up chicken soup.
This recipe makes a large quantity of soup, but it keeps well refrigerated. I’m not sure about freezing it–I think the already cooked noodles might get mushy, but have not tried it.
EGG-DROP NOODLE SOUP
Yield: Makes 8 – 10 servings
- 8 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and smashed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- 2 packages ramen noodle soup, flavor packets discarded
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water, or use 2 teaspoon saved chicken broth
1. In a large saucepan or soup kettle, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce and sesame oil. Bring to a boil.
2. Add the piece of ginger, garlic cloves, carrots, and all of the green onions, except for 2 tablespoons green parts–save these for garnish. Return to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes, until carrots are tender. With a slotted spoon, remove the ginger and garlic and discard.
3. Mix together the cornstarch and water to dissolve the cornstarch. Pour into boiling broth and stir to combine. Add the noodles (minus the flavor packets), and continue to cook for about 3 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs together with a little salt and pepper to taste. While gently stirring the soup, pour in the egg mixture and stir to swirl and cook the eggs. Remove from heat and serve with reserved green onions as garnish.
SOURCE: adapted from Allrecipes.com