I’m taking a break from bacon and eggs because the date today is 3-14, people, and you know what that means—-it’s Pi day! A food holiday that it’s a pleasure to celebrate. Of course, it’s not the only day that most of us make pie, think of Thanksgiving. But those pies tend to be the traditional classics like pumpkin, apple, pecan, etc. I like Pi day because it gives me the chance to bake a new pie I haven’t tried yet. What could be more fun? The date on the calendar gives me the prefect excuse to play around and make a pie.
I mulled over the wide choice of possibilities, considering both sweet and savory options. Sweet won out this time so here is Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pie, and believe it or not, it’s fabulous.
Never having made it before I had no point of comparison, but we loved this pie. Basically I made a chocolate chip cookie dough, scooped it into a pie shell and baked the whole thing. At serving time, a dollop of cream on top will take it the extra mile. I just love the way this came out. Are you celebrating Pi day with pie? I’d love to know what flavors you all are making!
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH PIE
Yield: serves 8
- 1 9-inch regular or deep-dish pie shell, unbaked. Use your favorite recipe or a frozen pie shell.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter (1-stick), melted and cooled to warm
- 1 cup regular or quick oats ( or 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 cup chopped nuts)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350*F In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Add the eggs and mix.
Add the butter and mix again.
2. Fold in the oatmeal and nuts, if using, chocolate chips, and vanilla.
Pour into the pie crust.
3. Bake at 350*F. for about 30 – 35 minutes, until golden.
SOURCE: Carolyn’s Originals