Don’t try to resist these. Just go with the flow and have one (or two) with a warm cup of coffee, or hot cocoa. Oh, my, they are beyond good.
If you have never made biscotti before, let me assure you they are not hard. Yes, they bake twice. That’s what gives them their crunch. First you mix up the dough and shape it into a log on a baking sheet. Then the log is baked and allowed to cool a bit. Then you slice it crosswise, and bake it again. These cookies are crunchy and chocolatey. Chock full of chopped almonds and sweet dried cherries, then they’re dipped into melted semisweet chocolate for that extra special Valentine touch. Ta-da!!
These are perfect for dessert, teatime, with a cup of cappuccino, perfect for breakfast, perfect for packaging up and giving this Valentine’s Day. Did I say they are perfect? Ooooo-yeah!
CHOCOLATE ALMOND CHERRY BISCOTTI
YIELD: 16-18 pieces
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup dried cherries
For chocolate dip:
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- 2 tsp. shortening
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar till fluffy. Add in the eggs and extracts, beating till well combined.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, almond flour, baking powder and salt.
With the mixer on “Low”, add in the dry ingredients in several batches. Stir in the almonds and cherries.
4. Spoon the dough onto the baking sheet diagonally in a long line. With lightly floured hands, shape the dough into a log that measures approx. 14″ x 3″. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula if necessary.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes.
6. Reduce oven temperature to 325*F. Spritz log lightly with water just to slightly moisten the crust. Cut crosswise into strips about 3/4-inch to 1-inch wide. Stand upright.
7. Return to the oven and bake an additional 25 – 30 minutes till dry. Remove and let cool completely.
8. To Dip: Melt 2/3 cup chips and the shortening in a microwave safe dish ( about 45 seconds at 50% power). Stir to smooth out, then stir in the remaining chips and stir again till smooth. Dip bottoms of biscotti into the chocolate. Let dry on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 5 – 10 minutes to set.
SOURCE: Bake at 350