Here we are well into the month of November with Thanksgiving looming just ahead. If you’re anything like me, you’re probably thinking of your menu for the big day, and maybe trying out a new recipe or two. That’s what I do. We seem to want the traditional foods, but I try to give a new twist to one or two of those dishes.
In this case it’s a somewhat different way of enjoying pumpkin pie. These are individual little “cupcakes” that taste just like pumpkin pie, but without the bother of a crust. These are pretty easy to make. They go together in only two steps and are baked in muffin tins. The only thing you need to be concerned about is to make sure you spray the muffin cups well with non-stick spray or line them with foil liners. Paper liners make if difficult to remove the “cupcakes” from the muffin tins and are hard to peel away from the pumpkin filling.
I’ve also read a review of this recipe with suggestions for making it very low cal. so I am including those suggestions here for any of you who must maintain a low sugar/calorie intake.
PUMPKIN PIE CUPCAKES
Yield: Makes 12
- 1 15oz.can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup all natural Stevia in the raw)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk, fat free is Ok. (or use 3/4 cup 1% milk with 2 Tbsp. cornstarch whisked in.)
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with foil liners, or spray well with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a bowl with a pouring spout (batter bowl) whisk together all the wet ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and blend well. Pour the batter into the muffin cups, filling them almost to the tops. (mine hold 1/3 cup batter each, and this amount filled them to the top).
4. Bake for 20 minutes. They will puff up as they bake, but will fall slightly as they cool. Cool for 20 minutes, them refrigerate to chill until ready to serve.
5. Carefully run a knife around the edge of each cupcake to remove from the tin. Top each serving with whipped cream or whipped topping and a sprinkle of more pie spice. Delicious!!