“Forget your troubles, come on, get happy, you better chase all your cares away”
The words to that song come to mind when I think about this coffee cake. It’s guaranteed to be a spirit-lifter for anyone who tastes it. Just looking at it makes me happy.
This recipe was featured recently on the blog “Rantings of an Amateur Chef”. The blog author has been using Greek yogurt in a variety of dishes as a substitute for higher fat and calorie laden foods such as sour cream and cream cheese.
That is a technique that I also use on many occasions, so when I saw this recipe for Cherry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, I knew I had to make it, not so much because of the substitutions, but because it contains almond flavoring. My all-time favorite flavor in the world!! But since I, too, would be incorporating the substitutions, I purchased 0%-fat Greek yogurt in Black Cherry flavor as a match-up with the cherry pie filling that is part of the cake’s filling.
“Shout Alleluia, come on, get happy,”
The aroma of this cake baking was so enticing I could hardly wait for it to cool sufficiently before sampling it. While still a very rich cake, the yogurt did its job in making a very creamy layer of filling below the cherry pie filling. The over-all texture is mouth watering and tender with a little crunch provided by the sliced almonds. And the combination of cherries and almond flavoring is a classic that I love. This cake could be served as a dessert, as a fancy coffee cake for a brunch, or just for breakfast. I would not hesitate to make and take it as a gift for someone whose spirits need lifting.
“The sun is shining, come on, get happy”.
CHERRY CREAM CHEESE COFFEE CAKE
YIELD: 8 – 10 servings
For the Crust:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour ( I substituted in 1 cup white whole wheat flour)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream ( or 0%fat Greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp. almond extract
For the Filling:
- 1 package ( 8-oz. ) cream cheese, softened ( I substituted 8-oz. Black Cherry flavor 0% fat Greek yogurt)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can ( 21-oz.) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Pan needed: 9 – inch springform pan with removable bottom, ungreased.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly.
Reserve 3/4 cup crumb mixture and set aside.
Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt to remaining crumb mixture.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, then add sour cream and almond extract. Whisk to blend. Stir into the crumb mixture to form a thick dough.
4. Press onto the bottom and 1-inch up the sides of the springform pan.
5. Make filling: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese (yogurt), and sugar for 1 minute. Add egg; beat just until combined. Spread over crust.
Carefully spoon pie filling over the top.
Sprinkle with almonds, and the reserved crumbs.
6. Bake at 350*F for 50 – 60 minutes or until center is set. Cool on a wire rack. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Store in the refrigerator.
SOURCE: Taste of Home via Rantings of an Amateur Chef