OMG, I think these are the BEST chocolate cookies I have ever made! Warm from the oven Mr.D and I ate a total of six. Of course, as I have previously stated chocolate is my absolute favorite in any kind of dessert. With these the addition of chunks of Peanut Butter Cup candy takes them well over the top. The cookies are a generous size, moist and chewy, and very rich.
The recipe predicts a yield of 16 large cookies, but I used a smaller cookie scoop, and got a total of 30 cookies that were still good sized. Plus my conscience is more forgiving if I have more than one of these.
Before you begin, place the peanut cup candies in the freezer for about 30 minutes. This will make chopping them easier, and helps keep them intact while mixing into the dough. You will need about 2 cups, chopped.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 large baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- 1 bag mini Peanut Butter Cup candies
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus additional 2 tablespoons
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 stick butter (6T) at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Whisk together dry ingredients. ( flour through salt)
- Combine butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar. Beat at medium speed till light and fluffy. (1-2 min.)
- Add in egg, vanilla and milk. Blend till smooth. ( I felt that my dough need 1 more tablespoon of milk)
- Mix in dry ingredients just to incorporate.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped peanut butter cup candies.
Use a large cookie scoop and drop mounds of dough 2–3 inches apart. Gently press a few pieces of candy into tops of dough balls.
Bake 12 – 14 minutes. (They may seem too soft coming from the oven, but they will set up as they cool.) Do not over bake them!
Let cool about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling. Store airtight.
Source: Annies Eats