Chop, Chop, Chopped! This is not about the T.V. show Chopped, but about a salad. Where salads are concerned, “chopped” is the new buzz-word.
“Tossed” is the word most often associated with putting a great salad together. A very enjoyable jumble of greens and vegetables comes out of this technique. Then there’s the “composed” salad, a thoughtful work of art; leaves placed just so on the plate form a base, with slivers of vegetables, fruits, nuts and other delightful ingredients carefully arranged over them, with the dressing drizzled on like splatters of paint.
But the “chopped” salad is perhaps the most satisfying creation that can come out of a salad bowl. All it takes is a sharp knife and you can cut lettuces, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, avocado, chicken, shrimp—anything you want—into a mixture of delectable morsels. Coat it all with dressing and the whole thing becomes infused with flavor. When you take a bite, the full impact of a chopped salad hits you: each forkful has a snippet of all the ingredients. You get the perfect bite every time.
So get out your knife and cutting board for this crazy-good summer salad that features two favorites; shrimp and avocado. Healthy fats (avocado) and protein (shrimp) insures that you will be satisfied and all for less than 400 calories / serving.
The shrimp can be cooked outdoors on the grill, for an added smoky flavor that plays well with the bacon. To me, this is the perfect meal to eat outside on the deck on a warm summer evening. If calories are not a concern, you might want to add a warm crunchy roll or rustic bread with this salad.
SHRIMP AND AVOCADO CHOPPED SALAD
Yield: serves 4
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh dill ( or 1 teaspoon dried dill weed)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Puree the dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Set aside while you prepare the salad.
Shrimp and Salad:
- 1 pound raw shrimp ( 21 – 25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 3/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup assorted cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 slices crispy cooked bacon, diced
1. Preheat grill to medium or heat a grill pan over medium heat.
2. Toss shrimp with 2 teaspoons oil, lime zest, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
3. Grill the shrimp, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes, total. Transfer to a cutting board. Chop the shrimp into bite-size pieces.
4. Combine lettuce, cabbage, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, avocado and bacon in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and dressing; toss to coat. Season with pepper to taste.
Each serving is about 2 1/2 cups, 398 calories.
SOURCE: Eating Well